What is an orthodontist?
The difference between an orthodontist and a dentist
It’s important to understand the difference between a dentist and an orthodontist. Broadly speaking, an orthodontist focuses on straightening teeth and correcting jaw alignment ensuring that it all fits in the individual person’s facial balance. Meanwhile, a dentist is concerned with oral hygiene and the health of the teeth and gums.
Just as a doctor can decide to specialize in a particular field, a dentist can specialize further to become an orthodontist. In fact, all orthodontists are qualified dentists, who’ve gone on to achieve further postgraduate qualifications, which usually takes an additional 3 years.
Dr. Laura Duncan has gone even further with her education to ensure that her patients always get the best care. She has completed extra qualifications that allow her to provide Invisalign® treatment solutions. Dr. Duncan is actually certified as a specialist orthodontist in the UK, Australia, Canada and the USA. She may very well be the most qualified clinical orthodontist in the world. That’s what happens when you do dentistry in Australia, orthodontics in North America, and then marry a Mancunian!
So, it makes sense that orthodontics is best left in the hands of a specialist Orthodontist. However, you should always continue to see your dentist throughout your orthodontic treatment plan. They will continue to monitor your oral health.
What does an orthodontist do?
An orthodontist specialises in correcting the alignment of the teeth and jaws. Orthodontic care is vital in treating several issues that can impact your overall health and wellbeing, but many people opt to get orthodontic treatment whether its braces or Invisalign for aesthetic reasons, too.
Here at BeClear Orthodontics, we give a smile guarantee as we want to make sure everyone loves the smile they have!
At BeClear Orthodontics, Dr Duncan doesn’t just straighten teeth, she designs smiles and healthy bites. And that’s a big difference. If you have any of these issues, it may be time to give the team at BeClear Orthodontics a call:
- Overcrowded teeth: this is where teeth aren’t able to erupt (grow) in line with other teeth along the jaw, often because the jaw itself has alignment issues
- Crooked teeth: teeth should grow straight up from the gum line, but in some cases, they can grow off angle
- Anteroposterior deviations: this is an umbrella term for overbites and underbites, when the top or bottom row of teeth protrude further than the other
- Lack of facial symmetry: sometimes irregularities of the teeth or jaw can affect the overall look of the face
- Low self-esteem or confidence: a lot of study has been undertaken in this area. It’s natural for an imperfect smile to affect you or your child’s confidence and the way you both present to the world.
- Do not like smiling in photos: this is one of the most common reasons people seek orthodontic treatment. This is why Smile Design is so important, because we understand that everyone is different and we thrive to ensure everyone achieve's their dream Hollywood smile.
Research studies show that the smile is the most important part of facial cosmetics, far more relevant than the billion £ industries built around plastic surgery, Botox and fillers. For many people it is also an important part of first impressions, relationships and, believe it or not, workplace remuneration!
Invisalign® and Braces, are the core of orthodontic treatment and solutions for the above problems. Every treatment plan we offer is tailored to fit your needs, so take a look at the options available at BeClear Orthodontics and ask us how you can get a straighter smile today!Our treatments
Ready for your new smile?
Book your consultation today - it’s completely free, and there’s no obligation to go ahead with our recommendations. Dr. Duncan will sit down with you to discuss your concerns, answer any questions about the treatment process and share with you our affordable payment plans that make sure the smile you desire is never out of reach. You will feel Dr. Duncan’s unique passion for comprehensive smile design from the moment you walk through the door.
And, if you can’t make it to the clinic, we have renote consultations that let you complete the entire visit online, from the comfort of your home. It’s a secure, private way to see if orthodontic treatments are right for you!Book a free consultation